Transportation Field Supervisor
This is a non-exempt, full-time, classified position with full benefits. Expected hiring range is minimum of range 16; Hiring range: $17.83 per hour - $20.65 per hour. Full long term range of position is $17.83 per hour - $26.28 per hour. Expected Shift: Wednesday - Sunday 4:00 p.m. - 12:00 A.M.
DESCRIPTION: Under direct supervision of the Transportation Manager, ensures that bus transit routes are staffed by trained operators and that equipment is up and running safely on a daily basis. Ensures that all policies and procedures are followed, responds to emergency situations, and provides overall backup and support to drivers in all phases of the transit route. Evaluates driver conduct, performs operator training and conducts employee evaluations. Works with the transportation team to contribute to the City’s commitment to inspiring a vibrant community. Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Responsible for all duties a Transportation Driver must perform.
- Ensures that all operators are fit for duty prior to operating a vehicle.
- Ensures that all routes have vehicles and drivers, that vehicles are fueled and safe to operate.
- As directed by Transportation Manager, assists to provide various training needs, including behind-the-wheel training for all new transit operators in the CAT system.
- Provides refresher training, PASS training, wheel chair securement, pre-trip and post-trip, and emergency procedures training
- Routinely conducts road checks to ensure customer service, on time performance, routecompliance, and operational safety; discusses results with drivers and provides reports to Transportation Manager.
- Assists, advises, and directs transit operators while in the field, pre-tripping vehicles, and completing work records and reports.
- Ensures that all City of Cottonwood and CAT policies, procedures and safety requirements, including facility open/close procedures, are documented and followed at all times.
- May perform dispatch functions, as needed, utilizing fixed route and para-transit scheduling software.
- Responds to accidents and incidents and performs tasks associated with emergency response.
- May assist with fleet services as needed.
- May perform basic vehicle repairs including washing and cleaning buses.
- May act on behalf of Transportation Manager in Transportation Manager’s absence.
- Performs other work and duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of public transportation, facilities maintenance, and material management requirements, practices, and processes.
- Knowledge of environmental, ADOT, OSHA and FTA safety laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision, training, work scheduling, and discipline.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, spelling and vocabulary.
- Maintain a positive work environment.
- Ability to contribute to inspiring a vibrant community through the Transportation Department’s functions.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Interact with a culturally diverse population.
- Establish effective working relationships with employees, local parts and maintenance vendors, local law enforcement and other agencies.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate rules, regulations and service limitations with employees and the general public.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT: This position requires physical effort such as walking, lifting, standing, squatting, reaching, pulling and manual dexterity. This position often works onboard moving vehicles and requires sitting, standing and holding balance for long periods of time. Must be able to maintain the ADOT medical certification associated with holding a commercial drivers’ license.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School graduation or GED, OR any equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Minimum of 2 years prior similar work experience. Must have or be able to obtain a Level One Fingerprint Clearance card. Preference given to those candidates with prior supervisory experience. Must be available to work days, evenings, weekends, holidays and a varied schedule, as needed. Must be able to obtain CDL License Class C with P Endorsement within 30 days of start date. First Aid and CPR certifications are required. Must have experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. PowerPoint and other Microsoft programs desirable.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: All personnel who are required to work with solvents, fluids, and other industrial agents while on duty are required to use only FTA, OSHA, or DOL approved goggles, work boots, protective masks, protective helmets, coveralls, other tools and equipment when cleaning, repairing, inspecting areas within CAT premises and facilities.