Transportation Driver - PT 29 hrs/wk
This is a non-exempt, part-time (up to 29 hours/week), with no benefits, except required Arizona State Retirement System participation. Starting salary is $13.50 per hour.
Download position flyer here.
Download job description here.
DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision of the Transportation Manager, provides public transportation to shopping centers, doctor’s offices, work, school, day care, etc. in a safe and timely manner; operates a city bus in accordance with city, state, and federal regulations; and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Drive and operate buses safety and efficiently in accordance with local laws and ordinances, and other standards and guidelines for drivers.
- Drive buses within designated routes and stops while maintaining a set schedule (Fixed Route).
- Drive buses to designated pickup/drop-off points listed on manifest within designated time constraints (ADA/Paratransit).
- Greet and assist citizens and customers in a manner consistent with excellent customer service standards.
- Perform daily vehicle checks (pre- and post-trip inspections) to ensure equipment safety. Observe, document, and report vehicle safety or other safety issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain cleanliness of buses, especially the interior (daily) and exterior.
- Coordinate with the fleet supervisor to determine the safety and serviceability of the vehicle.
- Coordinate with Transit Dispatch for route deviations and instructions.
- Comply with FTA Substance Abuse Policy and other personnel practices.
- Maintain required certifications and licenses and immediately notify management of any incident that could influence license status and ability to meet license requirements.
- Assist customers on and off of the transit vehicles.
- Secure wheelchairs and mobility devices.
- Collect fares and passenger passes or transfers.
- Refuel bus each day.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the various medical, dental, and social organizations in the Verde Valley.
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures of the Transportation Department.
- Knowledge of the traffic patterns in the Verde Valley.
- Knowledge of vehicular preventive maintenance.
- Skill in defensive driving techniques.
- Skill in conducting two-way radio communications.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective interpersonal relations.
- Skill in performing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in maintaining composure during crisis situations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This classification involves light to heavy lifting and carrying due to passengers/parcels as required on and off the van wheelchair lift/ramp. This classification involves work driving transportation vehicles around the Verde Valley.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The equivalent of a high school diploma or GED. The possession of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class C, with passenger endorsement is required or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days upon employment offer. Must have or be able to obtain a Level One Fingerprint Clearance card. Two (2) years driving multi-passenger commercial vehicles highly desired.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: All new hires for the Cottonwood Area Transit System department are required to pass a post-job offer, pre-employment drug test. All employees who work in the Cottonwood Area Transit System department will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
This position will remain open until filled.