Youth Programs Aide (Part-time)
This is a part-time, hourly position with no benefits. Schedules vary based on specific program operations and functions. Starting salary is $12.15 per hour.
DESCRIPTION: Under direction from the Recreation Coordinator II - Youth Programs and/or the Parks and Recreation Manager, assists the Recreation Coordinator II - Youth Programs in supervising youth at the Cottonwood Recreation Center, Cottonwood Youth Center, and on offsite locations during programmed activities. Assists with a variety of games, crafts, special events, tournaments, and other activities as assigned. Promotes open communication with parents/guardians, enforces site rules through the use of progressive discipline, maintains and cares for site equipment and property, and follows all city policies and procedures. Recommends activities to the Recreation Coordinator II - Youth Programs. Expected to be committed to the department motto, doing “whatever it takes” for the success of the team and department, including performing other related duties as assigned.
Access Full Job Description here.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Identify key elements and strategies for planning and preparing effective and safe programs.
- Identify key class management principles, elements and strategies for planning, preparing and conducting safe programs.
- Observe, and develop teaching strategies.
- Modify supervision to meet unexpected challenges including dealing with participants who misbehave.
- Demonstrate the ability to accommodate participants with disabilities and other health conditions.
- Prevent, recognize and respond to emergency situations.
- Perform rescue and first aid functions.
- Enforce rules and regulations fairly and uniformly.
- Answer inquiries and provide information to the public regarding daily schedule and program aspects.
- Insure the integrity of facility amenities, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Document and report incidents and accidents according to City requirements.
- Participate in mandated training.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- Work in a safe manner and report unsafe activity and conditions. Follow City-wide safety policy and practices and adhere to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City’s Safety Manual.
- Assist in other departmental programs including, but not limited to, adult sports, therapeutic recreation, youth sports, special events, and Recreation Center rentals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Provide exceptional customer service with customers of all age ranges.
- Communicate effectively with the public and other employees.
- Understand youth programming principals.
- Proficient in directing and motivating a large contingent of youth participants.
- Represent the City of Cottonwood in appearance, professionalism and integrity.
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to respond quickly in an emergency situation.
- Capability to handle large groups of active youth.
- Able to meet the demands of a physically strenuous workday. That involves vigorous programming.
- Periodically works outdoors.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Must be at least 16 years of age and able to obtain community first aid certification and CPR certification within 6 months of hire. Ability to obtain food handler’s card highly desirable. Must have or be actively working towards a high school diploma, or its equivalent. Must be able to proficiently demonstrate the ability to perform all tasks to an acceptable level, as determined by a supervisor, within six months of hire.This position will remain open until filled.
With an elevation of 3,300 feet, Cottonwood is a small but growing community situated in the heart of the Verde Valley, which is located 90 miles north of Phoenix and 50 miles south of Flagstaff, at the base of Mingus Mountain. We have convenient shopping, hotels, restaurants, and a picturesque Historic Old Town, bustling with activity. Visit the local vineyards and tasting rooms, ancient Indian ruins, historic parks, landmarks, and ghost towns. Explore the hiking trails, golf at our scenic courses, or kayak down the beautiful Verde River. Enjoy the perfect balance of job satisfaction and phenomenal quality of life the area has to offer!