Police Officer - Recruit
POLICE OFFICER RECRUIT
Full-Time, Classified Position, full benefits. Range 22, Non-exempt (eligible for overtime 1.5 times regular pay when you work more than 40 hours in a week). Expected starting salary is minimum of the range $23.90 - $35.22 (49,708.95-$73,253.65)
DESCRIPTION: A Police Officer Recruit is an entry-level position prior to becoming a certified Police Officer. Participates in formal, structured training at a police academy as well as customized departmental training classes and field training program arranged by in-service trainers. Upon successful completion of the police academy, field training programs, and under direct supervision of a Police Sergeant, provides law enforcement services to the citizens of Cottonwood and surrounding areas; and performs related duties as assigned.
Eligible Veterans may apply for GI Bill® benefits while attending the Police Academy and during Field Training.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work involved in this classification includes full time law enforcement activities coupled with traffic control, crowd control, investigations, and hazardous materials spills. Activities may also include, but are not limited to, standing and/or walking for extended periods, short sprints, long pursuit running lasting over 2 minutes, running up and down stairs, pushing heavy objects such as vehicles, jumping over and around obstacles, lifting and carrying objects sometimes up and down stairs, using hands and feet in use of force situations, performance of appropriate defensive tactics and suspect control techniques, using force in short and long term (greater than 2 minutes) efforts, bending and reaching, dragging people and objects as in extracting victims from vehicles.
- Applicants must have an equivalent of a high school diploma or GED,
- Be a U.S. Citizen,
- Be 21 years of age upon completion of the police academy,
- Have no felony convictions,
- Successfully complete the Arizona P.O.S.T. minimum certification requirements including a background questionnaire investigation and interview, polygraph examination, psychological test, medical examination and controlled substance screening.
- Must possess the ability to be clearly understood when speaking.
- Additional experience and education will be necessary for progressive steps (Journey and Advanced).
Veteran preferences shall be as provided per Arizona Revised Statute § 38-492.