DESCRIPTION: Under direction from the Head Lifeguard, the Aquatics Center Supervisor or the Recreation Manager, the Lifeguard will assist patrons using the Recreation Center water facilities. The primary function of an employee in this class is to teach swimming and water safety skills; to monitor public use of the swimming pool area, including performing in rescue, emergency, and first aid situations; answer inquiries from the public; and perform cleaning and sanitation duties. Additionally, an employee in this class assists in class and event registration and operations. May perform other duties as assigned.
CLASSIFICATION: This is a part-time, hourly position with no benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Ability to work in an indoor or outdoor aquatic environment that may include working in temperatures up to 110 degrees, in adverse weather conditions, and while exposed to allergenic substances.
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to sit for up to 40 minutes per rotation on a lifeguard chair or station, and be able to climb a ladder to reach the station.
- Sufficient clarity of hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern emergency situations, verbal instructions, and telephones.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern emergency situations, discern colors, and comprehend written work instructions, and rules and regulations.
- Sufficient sense of smell to be able to detect odors.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to respond quickly in an emergency situation and operate control mechanisms and make fine adjustments.
- Sufficient strength to swim 500 yards, demonstrating use of freestyle, breaststroke, and side stroke.
- Sufficient body flexibility and balance to perform rescue and first aid operations and occupy a lifeguard station accessible by ladder.
- Ability to work outside in summer months.
HOURS: Must be able to work split shifts, weekdays, weekends and/or evenings as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Must be able to obtain lifeguard, community first aid certification and CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications. Also desirable, if requested: ability to obtain food handler’s card.
Applications (REQUIRED) and full job description available at https://az-cottonwood.civicplushrms.com/CareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=40504&SourceId=4851, or at the City of Cottonwood Human Resources Office, 816 N. Main St., Cottonwood, AZ 86326. Phone 928-340-2713. EOE/ADA.
CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2019